Autumn 2018's issue of Modern Poetry in Translation will have a Hungarian focus
To mark the 20th anniversary of our co-founder Ted Hughes' death we have decided to fulfil his plan for a Hungarian issue of MPT, honouring his engagement with poets such as János Pilinszky and Ferenc Juhász. We would love to read new translations of Hungarian poetry, both classic and contemporary.
Deadline for submitting to the Hungarian focus: August 10th 2018
We also accept general submissions on a rolling basis. if you would like to submit work from outside a specific magazine focus, please do so via this Submittable page:
1. We only publish translations of poetry (and not original English-language poetry) and the translations must be previously unpublished. We welcome work from any age, but we have a preference for contemporary work.
2. You are welcome to send submissions of up to six poems. You must be able to obtain rights for the reproduction of these translations both in MPT and online on our site. We pay a fee to our contributors.
3. Before you send us your work, please browse the poems archive or browse issues, to find out which translated authors have recently featured in MPT and to see examples of work. The work you send in should not have been previously published elsewhere.
4. The responsibility for clearing rights and permissions for translated works, and the payment of any related fees, lies with the translator. Please note that copyright law varies from country to country and that it can take time to clear permissions.
5. Copyright for work appearing in MPT rests with the contributor and with MPT.
6. Bear in mind, when seeking permissions, that work of yours, if published in MPT, will be accessible on-line to our digital subscribers, made available as an e-book, and it may also be selected to appear on our website. Permissions should cover electronic and print versions of the magazine, and digital reproduction.